Home » Posts tagged 'weapon'
Tag Archives: weapon
I’ve pretty much finished with this, methinks. All that’d be left would be shading, but shading is hard and I am tired and I have been looking at this for a long time.
I’ve added this piece to my Redbubble – https://www.redbubble.com/shop/ap/103187263, if you’d like her to be on your stuff and things. Or you can take a look at my Ko-fi – https://ko-fi.com/sadayoshientertainment, if you wish.
I’ve been doing some conceptualizing for the game that I’m definitely going to finish some time don’t worry about it. I’ve just about got the spear to look the way I want; it probably needs a few tweaks, but I’ll cross that bridge when it comes. I also did some sketches of my OC, Momoko, to parse how she’ll move about in game a little bit.
This sketch page has more notes for my game along with a decent sketch of my OC, Momoko the kitsune samurai. The UI is coming along, conceptually, so I’ve turned to gameplay now: specifically, defending.
My research indicates that the Japanese didn’t “wield” shields in the European sense; rather, they “wore” or carried and deployed them, which meant their hands were free for weapons that required two hands.
Some more character design work on my new original character, Momoko the kitsune Samurai. This sketch page has got a bit of everything: an armored outfit for her that I’ll need to refine, some spear concepts that are coming along, a simplified look for easier animating, and some notes on her name.
From what I, a half-Japanese man with only 2nd- and 3rd-hand knowledge of Japanese and Japanese culture, have researched: when kanji is used as part of a name or other word, it can generally be pronounced however you want it to be pronounced? I might be way off.
Here’s some more art of Momoko, my kitsune Samurai, cutting a peach with a spear. I did this in traditional media with pen and colored pencil. I did forget her gotdang fox tails, but that’s something easy to fix when I clean this digitally.
Here are some studies of fox anatomy and spears because I’ve had an idea for a plot and setting and characters again, in a never-ending march of thoughts that torments me at every moment and prevents me from following an idea to completion.
I’ve been feeling pretty lethargic and unmotivated lately, but I have been working on redesigning the Nagamaki/bow weapon that I had been thinking about so that it’s actually kind of functional? Instead of whatever weird nonsense I came up with initially.
I had tried to give it a dragon-head ornamentation that the bow would fire through, but I wasn’t able to get it looking how I wanted it to without the weapon being ludicrously broad. So I gave up, like I do.
Let’s compile some of the messy notes in the images:
- The blade slides in and out of the weapon casing on some manner of continuous chain or tank tread-like thing.
- A shallow channel along the length of the blade keeps the blade aligned and from sliding out of the casing completely.
- The blade can extend out of either side of the casing.
- The blade is about 12 separate blade pieces which are connected by numerous steel cords to maintain structural integrity.
- While in bow form, half of the blade protrudes from either side with all 6 pieces separated slightly to provide the give of a standard bow body/shaft/whatever.
- Part of the casing on both sides can slide out slightly to allow the bowstring to be drawn.
- The bowstring is made out of the same steel cord as the core of the blade; the “arrow” is formed of, like, electricity or sunlight or whatever.
- I’ll need to do some modifications on the casing to allow for firing the arrow. Probably some sort of focusing lens, since the concept this weapon belongs to is heavily solarpunk.
Oh, up in that first image is a rough, cludgy sketch of the weapon that I drew inspiration from while redesigning the Nagamaki/bow: La Guillotine/Le Sursis from Monster Hunter Generations. I still need to break my Hunter Rank with that final Nakarkos hunt…
Sketching a sci-fi weapon today. It’s a nagamaki that transforms into an energy bow.